YOUTH JUSTICE ONTARIO STRATEGIC PLAN 2016 – 2018
ABOUT YOUTH JUSTICE ONTARIO
Youth Justice Ontario (YJO) is a provincial association representing over 40 agencies that provide services to youth involved in the youth justice system. Youth Justice Ontario is a dynamic, inclusive, and progressive voice in the Ontario youth justice sector. We are committed to the highest standards of excellence for our youth and communities. YJO supports and advocates on behalf of member agencies that provide the complete spectrum of youth justice services: prevention, early intervention, diversion, specialized community-based programs, treatment, probation support, detention, custody, reintegration, after-care, and more.
A caring and responsive youth justice system.
To further develop a youth justice system that promotes effective, evidence-informed, efficient services that are guided by the strengths and needs of youth and communities.
- Youth centred, therapeutic relationships.
- Safe communities.
- Innovative and progressive services.
- Well trained, caring, professional and supported staff.
- Respect for diversity.
- Youth, family and community engagement.
- Transparency and accountability.
- Collaboration and advocacy.
OUR STRATEGIC PRIORITIES FOR 2016 – 2018
- Support and strengthen our member agencies.
- Promote our vision for the youth justice system.
- Provide a strong, informed and common voice for an effective and compassionate youth justice system.
- Promote and facilitate cross-sector collaboration to enhance the youth justice system.
- Advocate on behalf of the youth we serve and our member agencies.
Strategic Priority 1: Support and strengthen our member agencies
- Maximize the quality and impact of their services.
- Foster and facilitate networks and relationships;
- Create opportunities to sit at pertinent tables; disseminate and share knowledge; train; and facilitate access to services.
- Represent the needs and interests of member agencies on various governmental and non-governmental committees, associations, networks and initiatives.
Strategic Priority 2: Promote our vision for the youth justice system
- Support members to highlight and share our vision locally.
- Advance our vision in other child and youth-serving networks.
- Educate the public.
- Advocate with government.
Strategic Priority 3: Provide a strong, informed and common voice for an effective and compassionate youth justice system
- Serve as a safe and inclusive forum for dialogue on issues that are important and relevant to our member agencies.
- Remain informed about what matters to our member agencies and what they care about most.
- Represent the views of our member agencies in various settings and through different mediums to ensure their collective voice is heard.
- Be a strong, consistent, and credible voice on youth justice issues.
Strategic Priority 4: Promote and facilitate cross-sector collaboration to enhance the youth justice system
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with the government and our local communities.
- Nurture relationships and partnerships with key governmental and non-governmental players and organizations in the youth justice system.
- Represent member agencies within a variety of initiatives that develop knowledge, policy and practice in the youth justice system and beyond.
- Build new strategic partnerships as needed to advance our mission, vision, and priorities.
Strategic Priority 5: Advocate on behalf of the youth we serve and our member agencies
- Promote a system that works with youth in an integrated fashion and models respectful, healthy relationships.
- Highlight and emphasize the effective ways member agencies care for youth.
- Engage with youth and their communities to provide practical and flexible services they need to succeed.
- Respond to emerging needs and opportunities.